This is a classic Italian dish. Usually made with cannellini beans, I opted for black beans this time, and added some deliciously marinated smoked tofu to-boot. I am THE biggest fan of One Dish Meals, and this particular one, is one of my favourites. AND it’s super easy.
Beans are a great source of protein, good fat, and good carbs. And let’s not forget the greens: escarole (endive) is rich in dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals (including antioxidant compounds). This is one-healthy-one-dish-meal!
Alrighty, enough talk …err, text – on to this fabulous recipe:
- 2 large bunches escarole, thick stems removed and chopped into 1-inch strips
- 1 block of soyganic smoked tofu, marinated to-taste overnight (I used red wine, tahini, and tabasco)
- 3 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a large saucepan with a lid, heat olive oil over a medium-high setting. Add smashed garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté until garlic becomes golden and fragrant
Stir in beans and tofu, and fry until flavours marry, approximately 5 minutes
Add escarole, and cover. Steam until greens are tender and wilted. Stir, and let sit for a few minutes.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 4 to 6
tip: add some seitan sausage to this dish to give it a real authentic Italian taste!