Sweet, sticky rice. A perfect combination of flavours working together to produce a pretty fantastic tasting dish. Combining, the sweet, salty, savoury, and spicy pleases your taste buds from all angles. Try it out! Tell me what you think!
• 2 cups Arborio short grain rice
(boiled in vegetable or miso broth – optional but tasty!)
• 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• olive oil for frying
• 1 cup veggie ground
• ¼ of a zucchini, cut into small squares
• 6 dried apricots, cut into small pieces
• 2 cups grated vegan cheese
(I used Daiya Havarti)
• 1 cup sweet corn (cooked)
• 2 tbsps red pepper, cut into small squares
• 3 tsp ground flaxseed mixed in enough water to coat
• breadcrumbs (for coating)
Pour your oil in a large non-stick pan, and fry your onions and zucchini until transparent. Add your veggie ground and garlic and stir, then add apricots, mix and allow to cook on a low heat for a minute or so.
Now add sweetcorn and red pepper, and mix again. Finally, add the cooked rice and stir properly. Take off the heat, and add the ground flaxseed mixture and grated ‘cheese’. Stir and mix well, until ingredients are well distributed.
Now, the next step is to scoop it up and place it in a large glass round bowl, then turn it over into a greased oven dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake in a hot oven for 25-30 minutes, until it is crispy looking from the outside. Inside will be a little moist, which makes the texture interesting.
* optional: scoop into individual size portion bowls for mini balls!
Adapted from Mouth Watering Vegan’s “Golden Rice Ball” recipe.