I’m always looking for new delicious ways to spruce up a healthy vegan breakfast. With the endless variety of vegetables, broths, spices and fresh herbs – there’s really no end to the various combinations available.
In this breakfast sauté, I incorporated ginger.
For thousands of years, ginger has been used as a spice and a medicine.
It is most known as its use as a digestive-aid. This is thought to be because of the spice’s high levels of gingerol; a powerful component that gives it its natural zingy flavour, and which acts as an anti-inflammatory in the body. If you’re ever nauseous, try making an all natural ginger tea.
Now back to breakfast! My favourite meal of the day …
– organic canola oil for frying (organic canola or coconut oil can withstand heat better than most oils)
– 1/2 teaspoon dry dill
– 1/2 small shallot, chopped
– 1 handful baby spinach
– 1 large white mushroom, sliced
– 4 ounces organic tofu, julienne
– sea salt & pepper to taste
* hot pan, cold oil is the rule of thumb
– sauté shallot, ginger and tofu until caramelized. By adding tofu to the shallot and ginger early enables it to absorb the fantastic flavour of each while sautéing.
– add mushroom, stir until soft
– add spinach, broth & dill and steam until broth is absorbed
– sprinkle with sea salt & pepper, serve with hummus on sprouted grain toast