I found an extra large silicon muffin pan at the grocery store the other day, and decided to make a batch of mini cheddar rounds, experimenting with flavour variety, I infused this batch with dried chili flakes.
1/2 cup raw organic cashews * see footnote
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
spices of choice (onion powder, garlic powder etc.)
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup milk alternative
1 cup water
vegan gelatin substitute (agar agar flakes)
1 tbsp oil of choice
1 tsp miso (light or dark)
2 tbsp lemon juice
-Place nuts into the food processor or vitamix and process until the consistency is a fine grind. I have been warned that if you process too long, the mixture becomes pasty and effects the consistency of the end-product, but this time, due to the oils in the pine nuts, it was a bit more moist and turned out just fine!
– Add nutritional yeast and spices & mix
– In a sauce pan, bring to boil water, milk, vegan gelatin and oil.
– Reduce heat, cover and simmer until sauce thickens. Stir occasionally.
– When ready, add sauce to cashew mixture and process again.
-Add in miso and lemon juice and mix until cheese is thick.
– Transfer to silicon muffin pan and let cool at room temperature.
– Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
Feel free to experiment with different spices, fresh herbs or minced vegetables! The possibilities are endless. I will be using this recipe for every single firm cheese I make in the future. SO excited to have mastered the proper consistency!
*If you don’t have time to soak, you may boil the cashews for 15 minutes instead!