It’s pretty hard to mess up chill, but it can take a bit of creativity to make it out of this world delicious – and I think I’ve done it! You could serve this to your meat-eating friends and they wouldn’t bat an eyelash. As always, the secret’s in the sauce!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- generous amount of liquid smoke (about 10 shakes)
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 package veggie ground
- 1 small can of sweet corn (12 oz)
- 1 can (19 oz) mixed beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 can (28 oz) unsalted diced tomatoes
- green onion for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add garlic and veggie ground; cook until browned. Add paprika and chill powder, season with salt and pepper, and cook until spices are fragrant, 1 minute.
- Stir in beans, liquid smoke and both cans diced tomatoes. Add 2 cups water and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to a medium simmer and cook until liquid reduces slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed, garnish with green onion. Serve hot with cornbread.