I absolutely love experimenting with different nut cheese recipes – spices, broths, thickeners, nuts – you name it, you can change it up for different results each time. Experimenting again, I discovered a great substitute for good ‘ol mozzarella! I used less potent flavours for a milder flavour (like mozza) and slightly less agar agar for a creamier texture. What’s great about these cashew cheese recipes I’ve perfected is that they’re shreddable as well as meltable! Huge success in the faux-cheese world. Enjoy!
1 cup raw organic cashews * see footnote
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
spices of choice (onion powder, garlic powder etc.)
1/4 tsp white or black pepper
1 cup milk alternative
1 cup water
1/4 cup vegan gelatin substitute (agar agar flakes)
2 tbsp oil of choice
2 tbsp lemon juice
-Place cashews into the food processor or vitamix and process until the consistency is a fine grind.
– Add nutritional yeast, spices and white pepper, then blend again until mixed thoroughly.
– In a sauce pan, bring to boil water, milk, vegan gelatin and oil.
– Reduce heat, cover and simmer until sauce thickens. Stir occasionally.
– When ready, add sauce to cashew mixture and process again.
-Add lemon juice and mix until cheese is thick.
– Transfer to a mould of choice, either a glass bowl, or in this case, silicon mini-loaf baking tray
– Cover and refrigerate until firm.
This makes one big block of cheese, or two medium blocks if using a 2-loaf mould. It keeps for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator. You can section and freeze this cheese for up to 6 months.
Feel free to experiment with different spices, fresh herbs or minced vegetables! The possibilities are endless. I will be using this recipe for every single firm cheese I make in the future. SO excited to have mastered the proper consistency!
* Note: if you are not using raw cashews, pre-soak for 2 hours prior to use. When they’re raw they release more oils and are easier to process into a fine powder.
*If you don’t have time to soak, you may boil the cashews for 15 minutes instead!