OK! I have tried more than a few nut cheese recipes, and this, by far, is THE best recipe for
a firm block of nut cheese. My sesame seed cheese recipe tasted great but had a grainy texture, and my sharp cheddar, which also tasted great, was a bit creamier than I would have liked. However, I think, after all the research and experimenting, I have finally found the perfect combination of ingredients to make THE best THE firmest nut cheese imaginable. Enjoy!
1 cup raw organic cashews * see footnote
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
spices of choice (garlic powder, onion powder etc.)
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp white or black pepper
1 cup soy milk
1 cup water
2 tbsp oil of organic canola oil
1 tbsp miso (light or dark depending on flavour preference)
1 tbsp lemon juice
-Place cashews into the food processor or vitamix and process until the consistency is a fine grind.
– Add nutritional yeast and spices then blend again until mixed thoroughly.
– In a sauce pan, bring to boil milk, bullion,vegan gelatin and oil.
– Reduce heat, cover and simmer until sauce thickens. Stir occasionally.
– When ready, add sauce to cashew mixture and process again.
-Add in miso and lemon juice and mix until cheese is thick.
– Cover and refrigerate over night.
This makes one big block of cheese. It keeps for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator. You can section and freeze this cheese for up to 6 months.
Feel free to experiment with different spices, fresh herbs or minced vegetables! The possibilities are endless. I will be using this recipe for every single firm cheese I make in the future. SO excited to have mastered the proper consistency!
* Note: if you are not using raw cashews, pre-soak for 2 hours prior to use. When they’re raw they release more oils and are easier to process into a fine powder.
*If you don’t have time to soak, you may boil the cashews for 15 minutes instead!