- 1 (18 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 egg replacers (I used ground flaxseed)
- 1 tbsp sage
- salt & pepper (to-taste)
- 1 – 1.5 cups bread crumbs, rolled oats or crushed crackers
- oil for frying (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Process beans but leave slightly chunky. You don’t want them to be too much like a paste. Pour into bowl
- Add finely chopped onion and garlic into mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together ‘egg’ and desired spices.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Add more bread crumbs if necessary. Divide mixture into eight even balls, then flatten.
( you can use this recipe to make bean balls as well, just don’t flatten and then proceed with directions! )
- Place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side. Flip carefully, getting the right consistency can take experience, if too dry, they may crumble.
- Optional: lightly toss in cornstarch and fry on either side until golden after baking. It’s delicious & recommended especially if you’re using this recipe to make bean balls.
* you can experiment with different spices as desired. You can also add chopped bell pepper, corn, peas. Whatever your heart desires!