(Adapted from the chick pea & kale recipe by the PPK)
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight
- coconut oil for frying
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Freshly cracked black pepper to-taste
- 3/4 cup rice, rinsed
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 24 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (about 3 cups)
- 4 cups chopped kale
- Drain the cashews and place them in a blender with one cup of fresh water. Blend until completely smooth.
- Preheat a stock pot over medium heat. Sauté onion in oil with a until translucent. Add garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper and sauté a minute more.
- Add rice, celery and carrots and then pour in the broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring down to a simmer, add the chickpeas, and let cook for about 15 more minutes, until rice is cooked and carrots are tender.
- Add the cashew cream and kale, and simmer until kale is wilted, 3 to 5 more minutes. You may need to add water to thin the soup if it seems too thick. Taste for salt and seasonings and let sit for 10 minutes or so to allow the flavors to marry. Serve topped with green onions.
- It thickens as it cools, so if you have leftovers, just thin with a little water when you reheat.