- 1 tablespoon earth balance vegan buttery spread or vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, (about 1/2 pound), coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, (about 1/4 pound), coarsely chopped
- 2 parsnips (about 1 pound), coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch (about 1 1/2 pounds) Swiss chard
- Several sprigs fresh thyme
- Several sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 dried bay leaf
- The Magic Ingredient: 1 tart apple (either granny smith or pink lady will do!)
- Sea salt & pepper to-taste
- In a medium stockpot over medium-high heat, melt butter and olive oil. Add onion, and cook, stirring, until caramelized, about 8 minutes. Add carrots, parsnips, apple, and celery; cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Wash and drain chard thoroughly. Chop into 1-inch pieces. Add to the vegetable mixture. Then add 3 quarts plus 2 cups cold water, thyme, parsley, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer about 1 hour; liquid should be highly flavoured.
- Remove from heat, and strain stock through a fine sieve, pressing on vegetables to extract juices. Compost vegetables or use to make Pulp Crackers / Dog Treats!. Stock can be refrigerated for 3 to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Makes 3 quarts / 12 cups