- 1 cup cashews soaked for 3 – 8 hours, and drained
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4-1/3 cup rejuvelac
- 2 tbsp oil of choice
- 2 tbsp medium brown miso
- spices of choice (garlic powder, onion powder etc.)
- 1/3 cup vegan gelatin substitute (agar agar flakes)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- Process all ingredients except vegan gelatin and xanthan gum.
- Culture the cheese: transfer mix to glass bowl, cover and let sit at room temperature for 24 – 72 hours (the longer you wait, the sharper the flavour)
- Thicken the cheese: transfer mix to a sauce pan, stir in agar powder and xanthan gum. Sitr on medium heat until mixture pulls away from the pan. (approximately 3-5 minutes)
- Transfer to clean bowl, and let cool (uncovered!)
- Cover and refrigerate until firm (at least 6 hours)
* this is a spreadable cheese
*If you don’t have time to soak, you may boil the cashews for 15 minutes instead!