Adapted from a recipe by VeganDad
– 1 cup white beans or tofu
– 2 cups vegetable or miso broth
– 1/4 cup oil
– 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp smoked rock salt
– 2 tsp paprika
– 2 tsp onion powder
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– 1/4 tsp turmeric
– 1 tsp ground fennel
– 1 tsp sage
– 1 tsp pepper
– 1 tsp soy sauce
– 2 3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
(Get water steaming in your steamer)
1. Place all ingredients except the gluten flour in a blender and process until smooth. Pour into a bowl. Add gluten flour and work into a dough.
2. Shape dough into a log and wrap in heavy duty foil like a tootsie roll. Try to make the roll as thick as possible. Steam for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees in the last 15 mins of steaming. Remove seitan from steamer and bake for 45-60 mins. Seitan should swell and press against the foil.
4. Cool and slice as needed for sandwiches, stir-fry etc.
This seitan holds up very well and can be shaved very thin. Store in the fridge.